Thursday, August 13, 2015

Peeling a farm fresh hard boiled egg


Farm fresh eggs are great to eat but when cooking the eggs for deviled eggs or hard boiled eggs they can be a "devil" to peel.  The reason for this bedeviling task is what makes the farm fresh egg superior; between the shell and egg white is a thin membrane that protects the inner egg from outside bacteria. I have tried many methods to peel the shell without ripping away the cooked egg white. One method involves puncturing a pin hole at the bottom of the egg, this does two things 1. The pin hole releases the sulphur from the yolks, while cooking, thus keeping the yolk bright yellow. 2. Allows water to get into the egg and helping to release the membrane from the egg white. While this method worked somewhat successfully I have come up with a much easier method.

Before we get to my ease of peeling your farm fresh egg here is some interesting facts on eating farm fresh, pasture raised hens. Mother Earth News conducted a study on farm fresh eggs vs. store bought eggs and they concluded,Eggs from hens allowed to peck on pasture are a heck of a lot better than those from chickens raised in cages! Most of the eggs currently sold in supermarkets are nutritionally inferior to eggs produced by hens raised on pasture. That’s the conclusion we have reached following completion of the 2007 Mother Earth News egg testing project. Our testing has found that, compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:  1⁄3 less cholesterol, 1⁄4 less saturated fat, 2⁄3 more vitamin A, 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids, 3 times more vitamin E, 7 times more beta carotene, 4 to 6 times as much vitamin D” Information provided by Mother Earth News
Now for my new method to peel the hard cooked egg; a method that makes the most sense! Sometimes my inner Chef should stop and review the tape and stop over thinking how I am doing a task and get back to the basics! The process is to simply crack the egg  and under running cold water, gently press on the shell, while turning the egg, continue to do this until the shell rubs free. The video demonstrates how I peel the egg under cold running water. Note I am pushing on the shell very gently as I turn the egg under the running water. 
When I cook my hard boiled eggs I put them in a pot with enough water to cover the eggs, and place a lid on the pot. I bring them to a boil, shut off the heat and let them sit covered for ten minutes. I drain the hot water after ten minutes and run cold water on them until they are cool. Now I can peel them with my fool proof method! 

No comments:

Featured Post

Eating fresh food from the garden

Fresh foods for me are something of a marvel. The idea of walking out to our garden and picking, pulling or clipping something fresh from ...